Deer Valley High School  Logo
Administration Site Council Foundation WASC Accreditation
Career Technology Education English ELD Math Physical Education Science Social Science Special Education Visual Arts World Languages Performing Arts
Business and Technology ACE Academy Law and Justice Academy Performing Arts AVID
Deer Valley High School Library
Counseling Request to see a Counselor Graduation Requirements A-G College Requirements College and Career Center Advanced Placement NCAA Information Senior Information Junior Information Sophomore Information Freshmen Information Incoming 9th Grade Information College Assessment Tests
Testing Resources PTSA Cyber Safety Online Assessments
The College and Career Center Career & Jobs College Financial Aid & Scholarships Internships, Volunteering & Other Opportunities Military Summer Opportunties #Adulting Centro de Universidad y Careras
DVHS Yearbook Vintage Yearbooks
DV Athletics Calendar Wolverine Football
DVHS Leadership Seniors Juniors Sophomores Freshmen Spirit Wear DVTV After School Program Link Crew Student Clubs Student Bulletin


Need help interpreting your CAASP or EAP results - check out the CSU Success website here!


EAP Pathway to College.png
Junior EAP Flyer.jpg

EPT/ELM Test Information

What is the EPT?

The English Placement Test (EPT) assesses your level of ability in reading and writing. Your score will determine what English course you are prepared for in college. The EPT is not used for admission purposes.

What is the ELM?

The Entry Level Math test (ELM) assesses your level of ability in math through the beginning and intermediate algebra and plane geometry. The test emphasizes the understanding of mathematical concepts and problem-solving skills. You will not be allowed to use a calculator during the test. Your score determines your placement into an appropriate level math course. The ELM is not used for admission purposes.

What if I took college courses in high school?

If you completed a college level English and/or a college level math course with a C- or better while in high school, you will need to send an official copy of your college transcript to our office to be evaluated. You may be able to earn college credit as well as be exempt from one or both tests. Please allow time for our office to evaluate your coursework and update your exemption status.

What if I participated in the Early Assessment Program (EAP)?

The Early Assessment Program (EAP) is an additional section of English and math questions on the California Standards Test (commonly known as STAR testing) students take in 11th grade. Depending upon the scores you receive in this section, you may be exempt or conditionally exempt from the EPT or ELM.

You should have received a score report in the mail during late summer after 11th grade if you opted to take this additional section of testing. You can also view your scores at the EAP Check Status Online website.

Why do I have to take placement tests?

The EPT and ELM test(s) are not admission tests; they are placement tests that enable CSU, Chico to determine if you are prepared for college-level English and math. You do not have to be admitted to a CSU prior to signing up or taking either one of the tests. You will not be able to register for any courses until we have your EPT and/or ELM results on file or your proof of exemptions.

How can I prepare for the EPT or ELM?

It is recommended that you prepare to take the EPT and/or ELM as these tests help determine your readiness for college.

When are test(s) offered?

There are many CSU systemwide test dates as well as individual dates given at specific campuses.

  • Note: We strongly encourage that you test early in March. However, for the fall 2014 application cycle, the last CSU systemwide test date is Saturday, May 3, 2014. Registration for this test is due April 18, 2014.

How do I schedule the test(s)?

Registration is required for the test(s). You are encouraged to register by the registration deadline as walk-ons are not guaranteed.

  • Registration can be accessed through the ETS website.
  • You will need to register online, fill out the registration form and pay with a credit card, e-check or PayPal. Fee waivers are not available for use and checks will no longer be accepted the day of the test.
  • For questions regarding testing at CSU, Chico, please consult the Testing Office website or call 530-898-6218.
  • If you are from outside of the state of California, please call 1-925-808-2142 or e-mail Out-of-state testing is arranged for the second week of the month, except in May when the test is the first week. Arrangements must be made by the 15th of the month before testing will take place. There is an additional fee of $50 for testing outside of the state of California.

Where can I take the test(s)?

You can take the test(s) at any of the 23 CSU campuses. You do not have to take the EPT/ELM at the university you plan to attend. See the out-of-state bullet above for specific accommodations if you are from outside of California.

What if I need additional accommodations?

If you have a disability and require reasonable arrangements for taking the test(s), you must contact the Testing Office or Disabled Student Service Coordinator at the campus you plan to test at to make arrangements before registering. Then, in the registration system you must select the appropriate checkbox for needed accommodations when registering for the test(s). The EPT and ELM are available in Braille, large-print and audio editions.